top of page


Date: October 9-12, 2014






Location:    RMB/ FI Inlet


Bait/Lure:   Bunker/Jigs/Strm Shads/Hoggies


Fish:           20 Blues/ 15 Bass

Largest::     12 Pound Blue




My buddy Tony and I made it 3 for 3 in tournaments this year. We fished the Oakdale Yacht Marina Tournament this weekend. We were able to find our winning bluefish east of the FI Inlet on Friday afternoon. Tony landed the first blue. I went to net the fish, however, the net had a hole big enough for the fish to fall out of the bottom. Panic set in.  Tony did a great job fighting the fish while the line was through the middle of the net. I grabbed the gaff only to embarass myself. Then I convinced Tony to bring the fish back to the net and I would try to just tangle him in the netting. Low and behold it worked. We had a nice fish to weigh in. After that each fish would be a throw back if it didn't top Tony's first fish. Well, we had 2 more fish that were too close to throw back. It turns out that one that I landed ended up being the 12 pound winning blue fish...nice. As for bass, they weren't easy to come by. That day would be the only day Tony would be able to fish. His daughter's soccor team kept winning so he had to keep coaching. After Saturday's weigh in, a very beatable 18 pound stripe bass was in the lead. I had to get back out there. I usually do very well at night however I won't go alone. Yep, you guessed it. Gina agreed to keep her husband company and safe at night. I know Gina couldn't handle a long night of fishing so we didn't leave the house until 3 am. It was chilly, however much better then I thought it was going to be. We made great time getting to the bridge and we were anchored up by 3:45am. Before Gina could even get comfortable in her beanbag, I was already hooked up. On my first cast I was in to bass. I quickly released the small fish and kept casting. I just need one slob. Long story short, it wasn't meant to be. I had a nice pick of about 13 bass however none were worthy of being weighed in. The sun popped up and just like that the bite was over. We went home to sleep a little. At 3:30 Tony called and told me that we won the bluefish division. We beat the second place fish by 6 pounds.


One side note, there is an insane amount of bait outside of FI inlet. Bunker, shad, rain bait and sand eels are everywhere. This bass bite is about to break wide open.


Yes the Captain needs a hair cut.

bottom of page